Company: The Shyft Group
Posted on: November 21, 2022
The Packaging Engineer will report to the Director of Materials and
responsible for improving the strategic packaging plan for our
Fleet Vechicle Services (FVS) Group. This position is intended to
work with the Purchasing team & Plant Operations to find improved
packaging solutions. The engineer will also focus on in-bound
packaging and transportation for materials/component suppliers for
all container packaging and inventory requirements and the
packaging development process. The Packaging Engineer designs,
tests, and implements packaging designs that are an integral part
of the organization's Product Development process. They also review
and improve existing packaging designs.
What You'll Be Doing
- Oversee and manage complete packaging development process,
including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development,
and performance testing.
- Prepare all necessary case studies, ROI's, Capital Requests and
presentations to justify investment / purchase.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving
designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to
determine physical characteristics of item, special handling,
environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials
required for packaging.
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation.
Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically
conduct vendor reviews. Establish any returnable/reusable container
processes with vendors and operations.
- Work closely with suppliers, engineering, product/program
management, operations, and sourcing.
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to
packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and
- Work closely with Engineering to optimize packaging supply base
for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization, standardization,
supply assurance, and compliance with customer, regulatory, and
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to
develop and validate packaging designs.
- Work with the manufacturing department to ensure that the
packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability, lean
manufacturing, and minimal/zero landfill waste.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Packaging
Engineering (or related field) required
- 5+ years of experience within industrial or consumer
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM,
etc.), drafting, and specification standards
- Proficient with 3D CAD
- Must have a self-starter mentality, be willing to take
initiative, and problem solving/decision making skills
- Experience previously working in fast-pace
- Experience within project management
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally
diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or
status as a qualified Individual with a Disability, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local
About The Shyft Group
The Shyft Group (NASDAQ: SHYF) is North America's leader in
specialty vehicle manufacturing, assembly and upfit for the
commercial, retail and service specialty vehicle markets.
The Shyft Group and our brands are as driven as our associates.
Every person behind our badge is given the tools they need to make
a positive contribution to the company, their community, and their
families. Across eight go-to-market brands, in ten states and two
countries, we have over 3,000 dedicated employees working as one to
lead with innovation, ingenuity, and a dedication to quality
The Shyft Group rebranded in 2020 to reflect a new focus on
high-growth end markets to help ensure long-term profitable growth.
Our name and renewed focus reflect the action, speed, and agility
we offer the commercial vehicle industry through our growing roster
of brands - Blue Arc , Utilimaster , Royal Truck Body, DuraMag ,
Strobes-R-Us , Spartan RV Chassis, Red Diamond , and
Keywords: The Shyft Group, Elkhart , Packaging Engineer, Engineering , Elkhart, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!