Directional Drill Operator/Locator Trainee
Company: MasTec Network Solutions
Posted on: June 14, 2022
MasTec North America, Inc. is a leading national infrastructure
construction company operating throughout the United
States. MasTecs' activities include the installation, maintenance
and upgrade of communication and utility
infrastructure, including but not limited to: communications,
electrical and natural gas distribution infrastructure.
The Directional Drill Operator/Locator Trainee is responsible for
learning how to properly become a Drill Operator/
Locator by following job training and instruction safely and
efficiently, as provided by the Foreman, Operator, and Locator
on the crew. Learn to safely operate the directional drill to place
product underground, then locate the drill head to
understand elevation changes and make decisions on depths to drill
to avoid hitting underground utilities. This position
supports the Line team and works with personnel within the
- Observe and be hands on when appropriate while crew leader is
operating the directional drill.
- Spot and expose dig utilities for the directional driller so
any existing lines are not hit.
- Fill out an effective pre-job briefing to mitigate hazards on
the job site.
- Before taking on the lead role, must know how to properly fill
this out before starting any work.
- Engage in learning to perform the following tasks:
- Operate the drill rig efficiently.
- Prepare job and drill so that the shot can be performed
- Pothole all utilities that will either be paralleled or crossed
during the bore shot.
- Verify existing utilities.
- Fill water tanks with water.
- Combine water with chemicals for boring according to the ground
you are drilling in.
- Locate the drill head from point A to point B without hitting
any utilities at the correct depth.
- Hook up swivel, reamer, and pipe product that will be pulled
back to complete the bore shot.
- Before the bore shot is started, walk out bore shot to ensure
all utilities have been located and develop a plan for going above
or below each utility or obstacle in the bore path.
- Pull back the product with the correct hole opener and utilize
the correct mud mixture to insure that the product makes it from
point B to point A.
- Inspect and maintain job equipment.
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
In addition to the valuable skills gained through training and
on-the-job experience, MasTec offers competitive pay,
including medical, vision and dental coverage, 401K and employee
MasTec is a proud supporter of our U.S. military, veterans and
their families - Thank You for Your
Service! Active military, transitioning service members and
veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Keywords: MasTec Network Solutions, Elkhart , Directional Drill Operator/Locator Trainee, Other , Elkhart, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!