Sterile Instrument Tech
Company: Beacon Health System
Posted on: May 23, 2023
Reports to Director Patient Services. Responsible for the care,
preparation, and maintenance of sterile and unsterile instruments,
equipment, and supplies. Identifies, inspects and assembles
instrumentation for use in a sterile procedure. Sterilizes
instrumentation and completes quality control checks as required.
Ensures proper inventory levels by filling requests according to
established unit of measure.MISSION, VALUES and SERVICE
- MISSION: We deliver outstanding care, inspire health, and
connect with heart.
- VALUES: Trust. Respect. Integrity. Compassion.
- SERVICE GOALS: Personally connect. Keep everyone informed. Be
on their team. Responsibilities
- Processes soiled instruments and equipment, utilizing automated
equipment and hand washing, according to department policy, for all
house-wide clinical areas.
- Identifies, inventories, assembles, and packages all
instruments and trays, single instruments, and set for the MOR,
CVOR, OBOR, and other clinical areas, and external entities.
- Ensures the accountability of instruments and implants through
the process by following count sheets and recording the proper
information on the correct log sheets.
- Follows established procedure for the cleaning, inventory, and
movement of IV pumps and stands. Sterilization
- Correctly uses chemical and biological indicators recording the
results as required for each sterilization type.
- Properly loads and operates each type of sterilizer according
to established procedures.
- Verifies that the criteria for sterilization are met for each
type of sterilization.
- Completes and maintains all required documentation for the
sterilization types. Carts/Bins/Supplies
- Utilizes established par levels for restocking various (CPR,
MOR, Cath Lab, etc.) areas with supplies recording the required
information for movement and inventory of the supplies, rotating
the supplies, and checking for outdates.
- Sets up case carts for all surgical areas according to the
surgery schedules and other requests (add-ons, STAT), verifying the
surgical schedules at least once per shift.
- Exchanges and restocks various emergency and procedure carts
(crash carts, respiratory totes, ENT cart, Urology Cart) and also
in the surgical area.
- For all supply restocking and movement, records the appropriate
information for inventory control to help avoid stock-outs.
Miscellaneous Duties and Tasks
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and educational
- As requested, helps with orientation and training of new
- Completion of a Central Service Technical Training Course after
the probationary period, if not already Registered/Certified.
- Keeps up to date on new instruments and equipment learning how
to clean, assemble, package, and sterilize (if required) the new
- Utilizes various software applications (instrument tracking,
inventory control, surgery scheduling) in the performance of the
job which enhances efficiency and productivity. Contribute to the
overall effectiveness of the department
- Completes other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
Associate complies with the following organizational
- Attends and participates in department meetings and is
accountable for all information shared.
- Completes mandatory education, annual competencies and
department specific education within established timeframes.
- Completes annual employee health requirements within
- Maintains license/certification, registration in good standing
throughout fiscal year.
- Direct patient care providers are required to maintain current
BCLS (CPR) and other certifications as required by
- Consistently utilizes appropriate universal precautions,
protective equipment, and ergonomic techniques to protect patient
- Adheres to regulatory agency requirements, survey process and
- Complies with established organization and department
- Available to work overtime in addition to working additional or
other shifts and schedules when required. Commitment to Beacon's
six-point Operating System, referred to as The Beacon Way:
- Leverage innovation everywhere.
- Cultivate human talent.
- Embrace performance improvement.
- Build greatness through accountability.
- Use information to improve and advance.
- Communicate clearly and continuously.
Education and Experience
- The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are
acquired through the successful completion of a high school diploma
or equivalent is preferred. Must be a minimum of 17 years of age.
CRCST certification through IAHCSMM is preferred, but not required
Knowledge & Skills
- A basic knowledge of the operations of a Central/Sterile
Processing Department, as well as knowledge of procedures and
equipment is preferred.
- After June 1, 2019, Associate must obtain CRCST certification
through IAHCSMM within one year of hire. Any Associate in position
previous to June 1, 2019, will be grandfathered in position with
current credential(s). Working Conditions
- Potential risk due to high level of exposure to blood and body
fluids, exposure to ethylene oxide, exposure to high concentrations
of hydrogen peroxide, potential burns and/or hot equipment.
- Frequent lifting, bending, walking and standing on a daily
Keywords: Beacon Health System, Elkhart , Sterile Instrument Tech, Other , Elkhart, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...